Becoming A Master – A Day In The Life


Week 17

Hello and welcome to another update on how my masters degree in conservation is going. If you are new here you can always catch up with my updates here. This week I thought I’d do something a little different and give you just a day in my life. This term I have way more structure than last term so this is a fairly typical Monday for me and it will be right up until the end of this term.

8am – I arrived in at uni bright and early this morning, lots to do this week so I’m starting as I mean to go on! Then it was straight into my favourite computer room to check on emails, write my to do lists and drink my coffee. There’s no drink or food allowed in the lab I work in but this girl needs her caffeine fix!

9am – Time to get started with the microscope work. This shot might look tidy but if I’m honest I always stretch my belongings out across half the lab when I have it to myself as I did this morning!


10am – Still in the lab and well into my work. This morning I was counting ostracods, which kind of look like little jelly beans!


11am – Finished looking at the ostracods so then I spent some time catching up on admin for the two lab books I have. These account for 50% each of there respective modules so I like to keep them looking smart and all up to date as much as I can.

12pm – I had a meeting with one of my lecturers to discuss my essay and practicals that I have to do. One of the things that I love about my degree is its really easy to go and find lecturers to have a chat with and they are really helpful.

1pm – Lecture time on foraminifera! Which are calcareous heterotrophs which we can use as an indicator for environmental changes. They’re a little strange looking but very unique!

2pm – Finally a little break to eat my lunch as packed by my fantastic other half so thank you to him!

3pm – A little blogging break! I’m still working on a very exciting project coming in April, so I was busy working away on that.

4pm – Back in the lab, this time working on the foraminifera from my lecture. Microscope work is really so much fun but it can be tiring so I was close to falling asleep on my microscope by this point.


5pm – Still going in the lab! I wanted to take another picture but time flew away and by the time I looked up from my microscope it was almost time to go home.

6pm – Home Time! At last its time for me to go home and this is where I’ll leave you, my evenings are fairly boring and this particular evening involved cooking for the week and netflix!


Hope you’ve all had a great week!

ThatBiologist Everywhere!





One thought on “Becoming A Master – A Day In The Life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s