If you know the quote for the title you already know what I’ll be on about! If not well of course it’s the humble Potato! Let’s go:
- The Inca Indians in Peru were the first to cultivate potatoes around 8,000 BC to 5,000 B.C
- The word potato comes from the Spanish word patata.
- One of the main causes of the Great Famine in Ireland between 1845 and 1852 was a potato disease known as potato blight. The shortage of potatoes led to the death of around 1 million people who were dependent on them as a food source.
- Potatoes are a member of the nightshade family, which also includes tomatoes, capsicum and the poisonous belladonna.
- Good news for fans of mash: humans can apparently survive on a diet of just potatoes, and milk or butter, which contain Vitamin A and D, the only vitamins missing from the humble spud.
- The biggest potato ever grown was 8lb and 4oz beating the previous record by 9oz. I know you wanna see this beast so here’s a picture:
See and you didn’t think there was anything interesting to be said about them!
Want more 6 in 60 – click here!