Vitamin C is our topic for 6 in 60 today! No more jibber jabber lets just go:
- Vitamin C is found in a wide variety of fruit and vegetables. Including oranges, strawberries and red and green peppers.
- Vitamin C cannot be stored in the body, so you need it in your diet every day.
- Large amounts of Vitamin C, (say for example if you drank 2 litres of orange juice) can cause stomach pains and diarrhoea.
- Vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body.
- A severe form of vitamin C deficiency is known as scurvy. This mainly affects older, malnourished adults.
- Vitamin C cannot cure the common cold but could potentially reduce the time that you suffer the symptoms of a cold.
The first three facts come from the nhs page on vitamin C. Fact four and five come from the medline page. I did a bit of research in a lot of places but the boots page nicely summarised the findings of some papers.