Hello! So last week we learned about all things tea but now we’re going in a completely new direction and lets have a look at that thing that cover two thirds of our planet. I’m of course talking about the Ocean! In fact all of the 6 in 60s this month will be Ocean themed so stay tuned!
- An estimated 50 – 80% of all life on earth is found under the ocean surface.
- 90% of all volcanic activity occurs in the ocean.
- The Mariana trench is the deepest point of the ocean in the Western Pacific ocean. Its almost 7 miles deep!
- Blue whales are the largest animal on earth and can get up to 200 tons in weight and 110 feet long.
- The ocean covers 70% of the earths surface but this is ever growing due to sea level rise.
- There are 109,768.84 square miles of shallow coral reefs worldwide.
The first two facts come from marine bio. That page has loads more stuff if your interested. The facts from 3 to 5 come from the ocean project. The last fact came from Greenpeace. I also used the photo from them!