Hello, another Tuesday already! How about we settle in to today with a nice cup of tea? While we’re at it lets find out some new things about tea, it’ll only take a minute!
- China is the biggest producer of tea.
- Tea is made from the plant Camellia sinensis
- Different types of tea are made by processing the leaves Camellia sinensis differently.
- Tea contains caffeine, theophylline and aminophylline.
- Herbal tea refers to a beverage made without the leaves of Camellia sinensis instead fruits or herbs are used.
- Black tea is the most popular type of tea where the leaves are wilted, they might be partially crushed and then fully oxidised.
This weeks 6 in 60 came mostly from the book 50 plants that changed the course of history by Bill Laws but also from the kew guide on Camellia sinensis. That is also where the image is from.