Hello and Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful christmas time and celebrated lots! I’m back with a 6 scientific things in 60 seconds all about plants and people. As a quick refresher the 6 in 60 series is about 6 facts from the science world that should be read in under 60 seconds. Let’s Go!
- Ethnobotany is the technical name for the study of plants and people
- Green gold was a nickname given to olives in the countries surrounding the Mediterranean due to the wealth it bought them.
- Sunflower oil is the world’s fourth most popular oil, with argentina, Russia and Ukraine being the three largest producers.
- Bamboo can be used for anything from a tool to paint with to the creation of scaffolding (more on that soon).
- The pineapple is one of the first fruits that was grown inside of a green house.
- Almost all parts of the garlic plant can be used in cooking including the leaves and flowers.
All of these came from a book I got for Christmas this year entitled “Fifty Plants That Changed The Course Of History” by Bill Laws. A truly fascinating book that has inspired me to write more about the world of plants. If you fancied buying the book or knowing more about it the link for it is here.