Number Three – A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet
Hello and welcome back to another 6 scientific things in 60 seconds. This week I’m writing an assignment focusing on roses so to kill two birds with one stone here are 6 things you may or may not know about roses:
- All roses come from the genus rosa and the family Rosaceae
- Roses can be found all over the world but are mostly found in the northern hemisphere.
- In the 17th Century Roses were considered so valuable that they were used as legal tender to barter with.
- The rose family is considered the 6th most economically important flowering plant family.
- The Rosaceae family also contains some very popular fruits such as apples, strawberries and pears (oh my!)
- Rose hips are commonly made into jams, jellies and marmalades as well as soup.
See you next week!